Art Deco is a type of architecture highlighted by clear lines, geometrical patterns and vibrant colors. Many of the Art Deco buildings were built in the 1920’s to the 1930’s. There was a revival of Art Deco style in the 1950’s to the 1960’s.
Some of the legendary architects of Art Deco buildings are Pablo S. Antonio, Luis Maria Z. Araneta, Juan M. Arellano, Andres Luna de San Pedro, Juan F. Nakpil and Fernando H. Ocampo.
The Art Deco buildings of these architects will be the feature in Old Manila for this article. Some are still standing and in use. Others are gone or about to be gone.
Completed: 1932. Architect: Pablo S. Antonio. Status: Standing and in commercial use but deteriorating.
Completed: 1930’s. Architect: Juan F. Nakpil. Status: Demolished, 2006. (Today: Padi’s Point)
Inauguration: 1934. Architect: Juan F. Nakpil. Status: Demolition ongoing (as of February 2018)
Cebu Provincial Capitol
Inauguration: 1938. Architect: Juan Marcos G. Arellano. Status: In use, government building.
Inauguration: 1931. Architect: Andres Luna de San Pedro. Status: Damaged in 1945, Demolished, 1964. (PNB Buidling erected in 1966, also demolished in 2017-2018)
Far Eastern University
Completed: Late 1930’s. Architect: Pablo S. Antonio. Status: In educational use
First United Building (Perez-Samanillo Building)
Completed: 1928. Architects: Andres Luna de San Pedro and Juan Felipe Nakpil. Status: In commercial use
Completed 1933. Architect: Pablo S. Antonio. Status: Damaged by fire and demolished late 1970’s.
Iglesia ni Cristo, F. Manalo, San Juan
Completed: 1952. Architect: Juan Felipe Nakpil. Status: In religious use
Jai Alai Building (Sky Room)
Completed: 1940. Architects: Welton Becket and Walter Wurdeman. Status: Demolished in 2000 (Land currently idle)
Jaro Municipal Hall
Completed: 1934. Architect: Juan Marcos Arellano. Status: Renovated in 2017. In government use (National Museum of the Philippines)
Completed: 1941. Architect: Pablo S. Antonio. Status: In commercial use (small vendor stalls)
Manila Metropolitan Theater
Inaugurated: 1931. Architect: Juan Marcos Arellano. Status: Damaged in 1945. Restored in 1978. Under renovation 2017 to present day.
Saint Cecilia’s Hall
Completed: 1932. Architect: Andres Luna de San Pedro. Status: Destroyed in 1945. Rebuilt 1955. Renovated 1999. In educational use
Architect: Pablo S. Antonio. Status: Closed, idle, deteriorating.
Completed: 1930’s. Architect: Juan Felipe Nakpil. Status: Demolished in 2001 (Today: Emerald Circle)
Completed: 1939. Architect: Luis Maria Z. Araneta. Status: In cinema use
University of Santo Tomas Central Seminary
Completed: 1933. Architect: Fernando H. Ocampo. Status: In educational/religious use
Completed: 1938. Architect: Pablo S. Antonio. Status: In orphanage and social work use.
Completed: 1930: Architect: no information. Status: Used for commercial store space leasing.